Friday, March 5, 2010

My Other Cars

I have quite a stable of vehicles in addition to the 10 year old Honda, so we can get everything done that a suburban family needs to get done.

During most of the winter, my other car is:


And yet another, for errands, and for commuting when the weather's above freezing:



And finally the "wagon" for trips with the offspring:



The best part is the cost for all these vehicles. The charliecard runs me just over $200 a year. The shoes were $69 about 10 years ago, and another $30 for a few re-solings. (Yes, it's time for a new pair.) The bike was $100 used (craigslist), and the trailabike was $75 used (craigslist). I spent another $250 or so tuning and outfitting the bike for commuting. Another $200 for helmets, lights, reflectors, and the bright yellow bag.

With legs, shoes, a bike, and access to mass transit, I am my second car. Man, that feels good.

2 comments:

MamaVee said...

nice rides!

Steve R said...

You're too kind. The bike is functional and the shoes are beat; I'm working on replacing the old shoes, and it turns out to be harder than I thought, finding a reasonably priced pair of casual shoes you can walk a mile in and that will last through a few re-solings.