Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Street Music for a Cooler Planet

Take a minute to read this inspiring entry at Daily Kos about really radical ways to re-imagine our streets. Here's the general idea:

Some say, "things are never going to change, people will never walk or bike if they can drive." However, that's only because we've come to automatically assume that the streets have always been -- and will always be -- filled with traffic and exhaust.

If the streets were filled with music, would you come out to play?


If you want a local taste of how music can take to the streets, keep October in your head, and watch out for the HONK! festival in Cambridge.

October!? Cambridge!? That's alright, you can experience a street full of bikes right here in Newton at the Rally and Ride on Sunday, May 16 at City Hall. And there will be music!

2 comments:

MamaVee said...

I keep trying to get to Honk! and this year I promised myself NO plans that Oct weekend other than Honk! I can't wait.

I'll be at the Newton rally too- but I may not ride this year, I was so slow and I kind of only like riding to actually go somewhere, but I won't say never yet...

Steve R said...

MamaVee, don't say you won't ride at the Newton rally this year! I ordinarily only ride to get places, too. This is my one "ride in a circle" ride all year. I'm stumping to get the ride slowed down.