I saw the chipmunk's coat
Had slid off the meat
On the gray pavement,
As I coasted to a stop.
The napped fur matched
A liver-spot on my hand,
Which I rubbed, noting
How my skin slid
Over the fine bones.
This place will be marked
By a leathery array
For a week or more
Then a light stain.
If gods populate
The vacuum around us,
May they note the loss
As they pass over
At great speed,
Propelled onward
By muffled explosions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I just saw alot of chipmunk roadkill (and live ones scurrying about) on my ride in on Beacon St. today. It made me think: have we seen chipmunk numbers in the 'burbs like this? Is this a new phase of 'rewilding', like we've seen with wild turkeys and coyotes? 'Vilified macrofauna' of the urban forest could be joined by a new 'charismatic mini-fuana'.
I've often wondered whether roads have more than a random influence on selection among suburban animal populations. Do cars kill more rodents than hawks, cats, coyotes, foxes and exterminators? And if so, are successive generations of rodents selected for survival traits more adapted to road hazards than to predators?
But I digress. The poem is more about mortality, humans included.
Post a Comment