Places I've biked in Newton: Whole Foods (at Beacon and Walnut), Newton Highlands T, Lincoln Street Cafe, Green Planet Kids, Newton Highlands Post Office, Lincoln St. Park (Highlands), Green Tea Cafe, Echo Bridge, Cold Spring Park, Newton Centre Post Office, Newton Centre T station, CVS, Tango Mango, Johnny D's, Staples (Newton Centre), Newton Free Library, J.P. Licks, Rosenfeld Bagels... you get the picture.
1. Pick a destination. What destinations are accessible from your house within a mile? Draw a 1 mile circle around your house on a map. (Or let Walk Score show you online.)
2. Select a route. Google maps has a new biking function that can help. Just "Get Directions" and select "bicycling" from the drop-down menu.
Google will suggest a route on the map. Note how it automatically selects for secondary roads where possible.
Did you notice how short the biking time is? From Newton Free Library to Peet's in Newton Center is about a mile: 7 minutes. Estimations are based on a moderate, relaxed pace, in this case 9 mph. I've seen other estimations at 12 mph. (Perhaps the uphill ride on Homer is factored in.)
Tomorrow, #3: Ride!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
homer has a hill? I hadn't noticed. ( ;-) actually I thought I was the only one who had when biking four kids to the newton center playground. I love going home towards the library thought- weeeeeee!)
We have the same haunts, surprised we don't bump into each other...
Alternate universes. Eventually, we'll bump into each other.
I'll bet you could give everyone in Newton a primer on the location of every slope.
I love hills! But only in one direction.
Moody St. in Waltham rocks! Beats any Newton village center in my book. And there are some nice scenic back routes along the Charles River that can get you there (at least from Auburndale).
The bike path between the old watch factory and Charles River somehow makes you feel like you are in a totally different place - hard to explain the feeling.
Patel Brothers on Moody St. rivals Russo's for fresh produce at great prices (e.g. 5 limes for a buck, head of cilantro 50 cents).
Guanachapis guatemalan/salvadoran restaurant is awesome home cooking. And the 2nd hand shop is one of the better ones around.
Moody St. is my former home! Patel Bro's is the best! (If you're a fan of rice, you have to try Kolam rice, a Gujarati specialty.) And if you're there on Wednesday, the produce is the freshest (he brings it back from NYC, where he buys it right out of the cargo plane containers, on Tuesday), and you can get some nice fresh Gujarati snacks like Dhokla. And I have to give a shout-out to my favorite eatery: Bombay Mahal.
A little far for me on a bike for shopping--I usually buy more than could fit in a saddlebag & backpack.
Post a Comment